Common reasons to refer a patient or be evaluated by genetics
Most people's appointments will have been made by a doctor who felt that particular questions needed to be addressed, which required the expertise of a medical geneticist - a medical doctor who specializes in genetic conditions. Typical reasons for being seen include:
- A person with a genetic condition in the family wanting to know the risks to themselves or their children
- A person worried about a family history of cancer, who wants to know whether or not they are at increased risk, and to discuss their options.
- You have a child with medical problems, developmental delay or learning difficulties, and want to see if a diagnosis can be made or cause of the problems can be determined.
- You have a known genetic condition and want specialist advice about the condition.
- You or your partner are pregnant and you have been told you have a higher risk for a problem in your baby based on your age, abnormal test result, personal medical problem, or a possible genetic condition in the family; you want to know more information about your risks and options